5 Easy Rice Recipes
Have a box of rice lying around? Put it to good use with these super simple and diverse rice recipes.
Rice feeds more than half of this world and everyone has their own way of cooking rice, changing from household to household. Besides, rice is such a versatile ingredient that you can make different rice recipes every day for 365 days and still find a new one for the 366th day.
That’s a lot of recipes to choose from. That’s why we have selected 5 easy and delicious rice recipes to make things easier for you.
1. Thai Pineapple Fried Rice
The sweetness of pineapple is a nice surprise amidst Thai spices in this fried rice. Just choose a sweet, juicy pineapple and your Thai pineapple fried rice will be a hit!
- Place a wok, non-sticky pan or cast iron skillet on medium high heat and add 1 tbsp coconut oil or vegetable oil. Add 3 minced garlic cloves and 1 finely sliced red chilli to the heated oil. Stir till fragrant. Then add 500 grams of peeled raw shrimp to it and fry the shrimp until cooked.
- Transfer the contents to a bowl. Add 1 tbsp of oil to heated wok. Then add 1 chopped onion, 1 chopped red pepper, ½ cup of cashews cut in half, ½ tsp turmeric and ½ tsp chilli powder and stir fry them for about 2 minutes.
- Now add 1 ½ cup of chopped pineapple and 4 cups of cooked white rice (if using freshly cooked rice, cook it 3-4 hours before using it so the rice doesn’t get sticky). Stir together. You can add the pineapple before frying onion and pepper for a caramelized version. Add 1 tsp soy sauce, 1 tsp fish sauce or sriracha sauce.
- Stir fry for about a minute and adjust the sauces accordingly. Add sugar if the pineapple isn’t sweet enough and serve it with cilantro or cashews on the top.
2. Burnt Garlic Veg Fried Rice
Easy and quick enough for weeknight dinners or lunches or for picnics. You can add stir-fried chicken, eggs, any meat of your preference or add more vegetables to make it healthier.
- Place a saucepan or wok on medium-high heat. Add 1 ½ tbsp of oil in it. Add 1 ¼ tsp of minced ginger and 2 minced garlic cloves to it. Once they get fragrant add 1 chopped onion.
- When the onions are semi-soft. Add ½ cup of diced carrots, 2 red and green bell peppers and ¾ cup of French beans. Cook until softens. Then add 1 tbsp of chilli sauce, 1 tbsp of soy sauce, ½ tsp of peppercorns and ½ tsp of chilli vinegar.
- In a small pan add ½ tsp of oil and 8-10 minced garlic cloves. Stir till golden.
- Then add 2 cups of cooked rice and fried garlic in the wok. Mix everything together. Add salt to taste and let it on the heat for about a minute. Serve with chopped spring onions or fried garlic.
3. Persian Tomato RicePersian Tomato Rice or Estamboli Polow is simple and flavourful Persian dish. This one-pot recipe not only cut shorts your cooking time but your cleaning time as well.
Again, you will come across many versions of it, both veg and non-veg. This version is going to be with tomatoes, onion and meat.
- In a pan on medium flame add 2 tbsp of oil, 5 minced garlic cloves and 1 chopped onion. Stir the onions till translucent.
- Then add 1 tsp of turmeric powder and 2 tsp of cinnamon powder. Add 1 pound of diced meat of your liking and cook until brown.
- Add 14-15 boiled and peeled tomatoes in a blender and make a puree. Then add 1 tbsp of tomato paste (for color) and puree to the pan.
- Cook it for 60 minutes. First 30 minutes with a lid on and next 30 minutes without the lid.
- Meanwhile, half cook 3 cups of rice with 1 tsp of turmeric powder.
- Add 1 ½ tbsp of oil in a pot and add a layer of the half cooked rice. Then add a layer of meat and tomato stew. Continue the layering till a final layer of rice is formed.
- Cover the pot and cook on high heat for 10 minutes. Then slowly pour a mixture of ½ cup of stew, ½ cup water and ¼ cup oil over the rice.
- Now wrap a towel around the lid and cover the pot. Cook on low heat for about 50-55 minutes.
4. Grilled Japanese Style Rice BallsGrilled rice balls are known as yaki onigiri in Japan. It can be prepared in many different ways by adding vegetables to meat to cheese. But this rice balls recipe is made from just 3 ingredients. Easy-peasy!
An important thing to remember for this recipe is the kind of rice to use. Use premium quality sushi rice so that it sticks together and holds the shape.
- Wash thoroughly and cook 2 cups of high-quality Japanese sushi rice following the instructions on the box. Let it sit for a while.
- Mix 2 tbsp of teriyaki sauce and 1 tbsp of light brown sugar in a bowl.
- Place ½ cup of cooked rice at the centre of a plastic wrap. Wrap the plastic around the rice and squeezing tight form a ball. Shape it into a triangle using your hands and remove the wrap. Repeat this process with the rest of the rice.
- With a pastry brush, brush all sides of rice balls with teriyaki sauce mix. Grill the rice balls evenly and serve hot.
5. Hawaiian Rice and Quinoa BowlThe last edition to this list, Hawaiian Quinoa and Rice Bowl is a super fast, super delicious and super healthy recipe. All you need are a few minutes to enjoy this tropical treat.
Quinoa is not only high in protein, calcium, fibres, various antioxidants and many other nutrients but it also contains all nine essential amino acids. Combination of quinoa and brown rice is great with the sweet and sour flavours of this dish.
- Cook ½ cup of brown rice and ½ cup of quinoa separately.
- Add 1 cup chopped chicken, ½ cup chopped sweet pineapple and ½ cup chopped sweet red bell pepper in a bowl.
- Then add 2 tbsp chilli sauce, 1 tbsp pineapple juice and 1 tbsp teriyaki or soy sauce to the bowl. Mix it well.
- Heat the bowl in a microwave until hot, 30 seconds. Serve with chopped red onion or cilantro toppings.
There might be 365+1 different ways to cook rice but as you must have seen above, with a few changes here and there you get an entirely different rice dish at your hands. Try these diverse and easy rice recipes; keep experimenting so we can enjoy the 367th rice recipe!